Municipality of Prilep
Municipality of Prilep
  • Municipality of Prilep News Feed
  • Municipality of Prilep Youtube channel
  • Facebook Municipality of Prilep

Heritage

Institute and Museum – Prilep

2803-zavod-i-muzej-zgrada.jpgThe National Museum was founded in 1955 with a decision of the National Board of Municipality of Prilep. Initially, three departments were active: Department of Archeology, Department of History and Department of Ethnology. Over time, all other today active departments were formed.

With the transformation of the National Museum into Institute for Protection of the Cultural Monuments, Natural Rarities and Museum in 1981, except the museum activities, the institution also performs protective activity.

 

Currently, within the Institute and Museum - Prilep, the following departments are active:

  • Department of History
  • Department of Architecture
  • Department of History of Art
  • Department of Ethnology
  • Museum of Tobacco

Activities in the field of the museum work

  • Field surveys and recognition;
  • Collection of museum material through research, purchase, gift, etc.;
  • Records, protection and expert processing of the museum material;
  • Records and insight in the condition of the immovable and movable cultural monuments;
  • Organizing themed permanent and temporary exhibitions;
  • Publication of the processed museum material;
  • Touring - educational activity

Activities in the field of protective work:

  • Records and insight in the condition of the immovable and movable cultural heritage;
  • Research and development of projects for execution of protective interventions on the immovable and movable cultural heritage;
  • Preventive and protective interventions on the immovable and movable cultural heritage;
  • Conservation and restoration works on the immovable and movable cultural heritage;
  • Participation in setting themed permanent and temporary exhibitions;
  • Publication of expert works;

Institute and Museum of Prilep has its own internal library with extensive collection of professional literature, and photo lab which is very important auxiliary technical unit during the activities of the employees in the institution. In 1961 Permanent exhibition of archaeological objects was set, which is occasionally renewed. Within the Institute and Museum – Prilep operate: Memorial Museum "11th October, 1941," Memorial Museum "Kuzman Josifovski - Pitu" and the Tobacco Museum.
First director of the National Museum from its foundation until 1980 was Dr. Boshko Babikj, graduated historian of art.