Municipality of Prilep
Municipality of Prilep
  • Municipality of Prilep News Feed
  • Municipality of Prilep Youtube channel
  • Facebook Municipality of Prilep

Architecture

The Department of Architecture at the Institute for the Protection of Cultural Monuments, Natural Rarities and Museum - Prilep operates since 1981, with the transforming of the National Museum into Institute for Protection of Cultural Monuments, Natural Rarities and Museum - Prilep.

 

The Department of Architecture in its activities in the field of protection of cultural monuments includes:

  • Insight in the condition of the immovable cultural heritage;
  • Evidence of the immovable cultural heritage;
  • Documentation for the existing condition of the immovable cultural heritage;
  • Valorization and revalorization;
  • Research and preparation of projects for execution of protective interventions on the immovable cultural heritage;
  • Conservation and restoration works and other protective interventions on the immovable cultural heritage;
  • Preventive and protective interventions on cultural heritage;
  • Presentation and publication of the processed material;

As part of the museum activity, the Architecture department works on preparation of documentation for archaeological research, as well as spatially defining and esthetic shaping of the exhibitions in the field of archeology, history, art history and ethnology, which are organized by the institution.

 

COLLECTION OF REGISTERED CULTURAL MONUMENTS

 

COLLECTION OF REGISTERED CULTURAL MONUMENTS

DEPARTMENT OF ARCHITECTURE

The fund of registered immovable cultural monuments on the territories of the municipalities: Prilep, Dolneni, Krivogashtani, and Vitolishte which cover the territory of the former municipality of Prilep, is as follows:

Archaeological sites:

  1. Markovi Kuli, monumental area
  2. Bedem Stibera, ancient site,  village Chepigovo
  3. Archaeological site Gradishte, village Debreshte

Sacral architecture:

  1. St. Nikola Church, village Manastir
  2. St. Dimitrija Church, Varosh
  3. St. Nikola Church, Varosh
  4. St. Atanas Church, Varosh
  5. St. Bogorodica Prechista Church, Varosh
  6. St. Petar Church, Varosh
  7. Monastery Treskavec, with monastery church Uspenie Bogorodichno
  8. Monastery Zrze, with monastery church St. Spas (St. Preobrazenie)
  9. Monastery Slepche, with monastery church St. Nikola
  10. St. Bogorodica Church, village Kostinci
  11. St. Nikola Church, village Zrze

Profane architecture:

  1. Clock Tower, Prilep

Urban complexes:

  1. Monumental entirety Old Bazaar, Prilep
  2. Monumental entirety Varosh

Islamic Architecture:

  1. Charshi Dzamia (the Bazaar Mosque), Prilep
  2. Skrshena Dzamia (the Broken Mosque), Prilep
  3. Turkish bath, Prilep
  4. Hammam bath (Hammam Tememele), Prilep
  5. Remains of wall Kursumli An, Prilep

Revival:

  1. St. Blagoveshtenie Church, Prilep

Monuments from the National Liberation War:

  1. Hillock of the Undefeated, Prilep
  2. Memorial museum “Kuzman Josifoski – Pitu”, Prilep

Apart from the registered cultural monuments, activities of the Department of Architecture refer to all other registered sacred monuments in Prilep and its surroundings, especially post - byzantine churches as well as registered monuments from the old architecture from the second half of XIX century and first half of XX century, and incidentally, the rural architecture on the territory of the municipalities around Prilep.

 

BYZANTINE PERIOD

Basic information about the most important sacred monuments of culture in Prilep and its surroundings from Byzantine period

image213.jpg

St. Nikola Church, Varosh

St. Nikola Church in Varosh is one of the most significant objects in Macedonia, whose facades obviously show two construction phases. The initial, small single-nave church built of stone, with used antique spolias, was built around 1200, while the second architectural phase, i.e. The present appearance of the church with rich plastic-ceramic decoration of the facade dates from 1298 and reflects the characteristic trends in the late - byzantine architecture. In 1959 archaeological excavations were started in the church and around it, and the process of conservation of architecture and frescoes of the church is realized in 1961 and 1962. In 1977 a drainage channel was dug around the church, and after the research of the roof construction, a temporary roof was set.

 

image214.jpg

St. Dimitrija Church, Varosh

St.Dimitrija Church in Varos is a complex construction of various phases realized in XIII and XIV century. From how it looks today, on the outside it appears as cruciform church with a dome with twelve - sided tambour, with the southern wing being lower than others. During the treatment of the facades, a rich ceramic - plastic decoration is used. The archaeological research in and around the church St. Dimitrija started in 1965, conservation - restoration works on the architecture of the church were carried out in 1968 and the conservation and restoration works on the frescoes in 1969.

 

image215.jpg

St. Nikola Church, village Manastir

St. Nikola Church in village Manastir was built over an older building, and it acquired its present appearance in 1266. The church is a three-nave basilica without narthex, central nave is vaulted, and the outer naves are with an open roof construction. On the east side the naves end in apses semicircular from the inside and three-sided from the outside. Conservation and restoration works on architecture and frescoes of the church St. Nikola were performed in the period from 1965 to 1970.

 

image216.jpg

Monastery Treskavec

The monastery complex Treskavec consists of St. Uspenie Bogorodichno Church, the old dining room, quarters with the bell tower above the entrance and other additional buildings. The monastery complex was built over an older cult place, the church was built in XIII century and restored during the reign of King Milutin. Later, several times the monastery was destroyed and renewed. From the present appearance of the church one can clearly notice at least six construction phases. The core of today's monastery church is a single-nave structure with a central dome, on the eastern side ends with an apse semicircular from the inside and five-sided from the outside. On the west side towards the nave, porch with a square base was additionally built, covered with large blind dome. Towards the porch, on the south and west side an exonarthex with two side compartments covered with domes is additionally built. A small chapel was built on the north side. Last phase is the porch additionally built on the west and south side of the object. In 1990, in a large fire all quarters of the monastery complex were burned, only the church and the old dining room remained untouched by the flames. In the period after the fire a Project for restoration of the monastery quarters was designed

 

image217.jpg

St. Arhangel Mihail – Varosh

The initial church in the monastery complex St. Archangel Michael in Varosh, built in XII century, was a small single-nave church with semicircular apse, on which later, on the western side, a porch with a dome on pendentives was additionally built, which was later demolished. The monastery complex assumed its present appearance after the great architectural activity in 1861, when the quarters and a bell tower above the porch of the church were built. The monastery quarters are a marvelous example for the high esthetic qualities of our architecture and the refined sense of the constructor to fit the architecture in the natural ambience and with the configuration of the ground. During the period from 1964 from 1969, on the western quarters conservation and restoration works were performed. Bell tower built above the porch, with the latest conservation and restoration works which were undertaken on the church in the 1980s, was destroyed and the dome above the porch was restored.

 

POST – BYZANTINE PERIOD

Basic information about the most important sacred monuments of culture in Prilep and its surroundings from the Post - Byzantine Period

St. Ilija church in village Dolgaec is first and full architectural achievement in the early years of Turkish ruling. It is a small single-nave cemetery church, with a trapezoid shaped base, rustically built with stone in lime mortar. On the eastern side ends with a shallow rectangular apse, covered with stone slabs.

The church is distinctive with the vault of triple arch and the attempts for decoration of the southern facade with crushed stone in the form of a fish bone. The church was built and painted in 1454/5. In 1999 preventive protection of the church was performed, whereupon the roof covering was replaced and some parts of the wall mass were repaired.

The church St. Nikola is located just above the village Zrze, on a slight elevation on declining ground. It is vaulted with half - modulated dome and roof on two slopes, with a semicircular apse on the east side. The exact date of construction of the church cannot be precisely confirmed, although it is known that it happened before 1459. Before 1535 in continuation from the north side, a chapel was additionally built, and in XVII century the two areas from the west side also obtained a porch. The church was painted by artist Onufrie in 1535 and frescoes were also made on the altar in the chapel and on the western wall of the church from the outside. On the northern facade of the church, in semicircular recess, the fresco "Bogorodica Odigitrija" is painted by the icon painter from the monastery church St. Preobrazenie, dating from 1369. Conservation works are carried out on the church during 1992-93, and in 1999, but for full realization there are still some other things to be done, provided with the programme.

 

image222.jpg

St. Bogorodica, village Kostinci

The church St. Bogorodica in village Kostinci was built as a cemetery church. The present appearance of the church is due to several phases of construction. In the first phase from 1624/5 a small single-nave church was built with a semicircular vault and three-sided apse on the east side. After a period in the XVII century the church was extended from the west side, with which it got a narthex and a porch. The church is decorated in all its parts. In the naos two layers of paintings from XVII and XIX century can be seen, while in the narthex can be found paintings from XVII, XVIII and XIX century. On the east facade above the apse is located a frescoed image of "St. Nikola", which is not often a case in the churches from the Post-Byzantine period. During the period 1997-99 a complete conservation of the architecture of the church was performed, according to a designed project.

 

image223.jpg

St. Atanas, village Rilevo

Information on the time and the circumstances of construction of the church St. Atanas in village Rilevo can be found in the ktitor inscription above the mullion on the south wall of the inner side. This inscription states that the church was built in 1627, from master Ivan from Kichevo and icon painter Jon from Kostur. The church was built of crushed stone in lime mortar as a small single-nave church with half – modulated dome and five – sided apse on the eastern side. It is known by the presence of fresco decoration portraying the "Archangel Michael" and "Archangel Gabriel" on the east facade above the apse.

 

REVIVAL PERIOD

image228.jpg

St. Blagoveshtenie Church, Prilep

One of the numerous cultural monuments from the period of the Revival in the first half of XIX century is the church St. Blagoveshtenie (Holy Annunciation), known as the Old Church in Prilep. Built by famous craftsmen from Prilep Kosta Lauco and Riste Taslamiche in 1838, it is a three-nave basilica with three semi-circular apses on the eastern side. It has a modest fresco painting located in the altar and on the dome from the central nave, but the greatest value in the interior is the carving. To achive that, the best and most famous wood carvers from Debar were called, the gang of Petre Filiposki - Garkata. A monumental iconostasis, bishop's throne and wellspring were made and they are masterpieces of the cultural heritage of Macedonia.

 

image232.jpg

Clock – Tower, Prilep

The Clock Tower was built in the center of the Old Bazaar in 1858 at the site of an older wooden clock tower, which burned in the fire that consumed the entire Old Bazaar in 1854. In terms of the material used to build the tower and in terms of the construction system, the Clock tower is divided into two parts: a massive part of stone and a skeletal part of wooden construction. The total height of the building is 38.76 m. In 1985, a Project for conservation of the Clock Tower was prepared, and in 1986 the process of conservation of the overground part of the tower was realized. Interesting fact for the Clock Tower in Prilep is that there is an inclination of 1.16 m because of which a preparation of a study for constructive consolidation of the object, in cooperation with IZIIS – Skopje, is in progress. Head of the Project for Conservation of Clock Tower – is grad.eng.arch. Vaska Pechijareska.

The Old Bazaar in Prilep is an urban complex that had its biggest growh in the second half of the XVIII and early XIX century, when Prilep was a developed trade and craftsmanship center. In the second half of XIX century, after a series of fires that spread in the bazaar in 1854, in 1866 and in 1873, the economic and commercial power of Prilep declined. The Bazaar got its present appearance in the second half of the XIX and early XX century, and the complex problems that meet the social life in this period, full of crisis at all levels of social structures, caused devaluation of the esthetic and functional specificity of the Bazaar.

 

ISLAMIC ARCHITECTURE

The Bazaar mosque is located in the center of Prilep, in an urban entirety together with the Clock Tower, in the complex of the old bazaar. Built during the reign of Sultan Mehmed II the Conqueror, i.e. during the Brusan style, is represents the simplest form of mosque from that period. It is built in several stages. For the first phase, one can learn from the preserved authentic inscription in Arabic letters in Turkish language, which inter alia states that the mosque was built in 1475. The minaret had also got its present appearance through several phases of construction. With pedestal on polygonal base, height of 25 meters, decorated with two sherefets, the minaret of the Bazaar mosque is a rare example of Islamic architecture in Macedonia. During the preparation of the Project for conservation in 1988, complete probe trials were performed, which resulted in the stages of construction. Head of Project for Conservation of the Bazaar Mosque - grad.eng.arch. Kire Jovanoski.